Two weeks ago I led my first team to Proniño. And I’m happy to say that it went very well! Thank you to Paula, Randy, Gwen, Katy and Brad for being my guinea pigs. =) I was so impressed and encouraged to see how much the team threw themselves into the work and threw themselves into getting to know the boys. And I’m grateful for the patience shown when we repeatedly heard “The plans have changed…” and “You can get started in just a minute…”
Top 5 moments of the trip for me (in random order):
1. When Jose Luis told Paula to close her eyes and open her mouth, and she actually did it. It ended up being a stick of gum, but it seriously could have been anything…
2. When Milton whispered to me that he would like to marry Gwen. I blogged a while ago about how your presence, even for a week, really makes an impact on the kids. Case in point.
Milton and Paula
3. Sharing a gigantic meal with various types of meat with the team then finding out that that circular meat with the weird texture that made me gag a little is in fact huevos de toro. I’ll let you google that.
4. Seeing how happy the boys were when they each received a stuffed animal donated by my mother-in-law’s friend, Alejandra’s, children. (That was a mouthful.) Who knew 15 year old boys would like a stuffed animal so much??
Rodolfo and his new friend
5. The moment when we finally received a mini-jackhammer and no longer had to pick ax through the foot and a half of cement we needed to remove. I can still feel the relief wash over me.
And one of my favorite pictures of the week from Nueva Esperanza…
to watch a slideshow of the kids and our work!
I’m hoping that after you watch this you’ll be filled with an overwhelming desire to experience this yourself. Never fear! There are 3 more opportunities for you to come!
(This is coming up very, very soon but I thought I’d put it out there anyway…)
July 9-16 (Nueva Esperanza – $550 + the cost of airfare)
July 16-23 (Proniño – $650 + the cost of airfare)
September 10-17 (Nueva Esperanza – $550 + the cost of airfare)
November 5-13 (Proniño – $650 + the cost of airfare)